10/24/09

What's going on.

Things are as busy as ever around here but we have reached a few mile stones I simply must mention!

1. AJ is potty trained! I had been racking my brain for the best method in which to go about potty training him when he came to me on Sunday morning and said, "I need to go poop on the potty Mom." Really!?!? So I took him in there and he really went! I was shocked to say the least but I went with it and put him in a pair of big boy underwear. That was 6 weeks ago and he has only had 3 poop accidents and 8-9 pee accidents. I am elated! So many people told me that they will let you know when they're ready but I always thought that was ridicules until it happened to me. To help encourage him I taped Halloween size M&M's on the bathroom wall and every time he was successful in the bathroom he got a potty treat. We also took him to target and let him pick out his own underwear (which he loved) and told him if he pooped on Buzz lightyear or Lightning McQueen they had to go in the garbage, which they did. I was not about to clean poop of a $0.40 pair of underwear and throw them in the wash, after 3 pair went in the garbage he was done with accidents! Congratulations AJ, potty trained at 2 1/2 (30 months.)

2.Miles is on the move! I have never seen a little one move around as much as Miles does already. He loves to kick to flail his arm anytime anywhere. He is starting to find toys and does all he can to reach them and get them in his mouth. He is also a rolling machine. After his bottles he usually has some playtime under his hanging toys on the Ottoman while I work on house stuff but those days are over! He has almost rolled off the Ottoman twice now so I have had to move him to the floor, but that couldn't stop him. He now plants his feet on the floor, arches his back, and pushes hard to skooch himself along the floor. It really just moves him farther and farther back until his head hits the couch and is forced to stop. He also dose this in his crib, which is why I find him with his head stuck in the corner of the crib after every nap. I now understand the reason for bumpers. He may only be 4 months only but I think he is already sick of just laying around.

3. Sleep training. Miles has been sleeping from 7:00PM -7:00AM but still waking up at 11:00 and 4:00 to eat, RIDICULOUS! So we decided it was time to sleep train. After much deliberation I decided to try the pick up, put down method by Tracey Hogg.....STUPID (opps, I mean silly, we don't say stupid anymore.) I know that this method has worked for at least two of my friends and Lyndz but this was not the method for us. In pick up, put down you stay in the room and talk to your baby to comfort them if they don't calm down you pick them up until they stop crying but the second they calm down you put them back in the crib while reassuring them with your voice if they cry again you pick them up again until they are calm and then...right back down. This process usually take 60-90minutes the first time and gets less and less over the next two weeks until they are sleeping through the night. Well 5 days was enough for me, I was in there for 2 hours at a time and he would just get madder and madder, so we went to the cry it out method like we did with Age. We are, however using Tracey Hogg's dream feed technique where you go in at 10:30 and feed them a bottle while they continue to sleep, it works great! 3 nights into the cry it out and he is already doing way better. Last night we did the dream feed and he didn't get up till 6:45 for a bottle and back to bed until 8:15. He has been sleeping from 7:15PM-8:15 we are still working on it and he still cries 5-25 minutes some night around 4:00AM but it's working way better for Miles then PU/PD.

I am seriously in awe at how fast time is passing as our boys grow up. We are so proud of them and feel truly blessed to have them for our sons. Here's a few pictures of our boys in the tub. They love being in the water especially together, please note how concerned AJ is with their modesty

3 comments:

kelsey said...

norah would get more mad too if i had picked her up then put her back in her crib. every baby is just different, eh? it's so crazy, i can't even imagine what another little personality will be like.
congrats to aj for potty training, that is awesome!

lynz said...

yay, yay, and yay!!! i'm sad i'm missing miles learning the whole moving and grooving time thing down the street over in not sick yet land, and i can't wait to reunite our boys again one day soon :) i miss my boys - and you of course!

Jeff and Amy said...

Yay for being potty trained!!! Isn't it such a wonderful relief? And Miles is already moving around that much at 4 months - holy cow! Have you had a chance to look at my sleep training book? I had read the Tracey Hogg book too but had found it didn't work for me and was way too much work. But that book you have of mine is wonderful! Porter was easily trained by 9 weeks and I have other friends who have had similar success. I've found that talking to your baby and making eye contact in the middle of the night doesn't help. I always made sure to not talk or look at Porter so he knew it wasn't play time. Did you have any questions about the book? Good luck!!