9/28/08

The Power of the Gospel

I feel so overwhelmed by the power of the Gospel, and the profound impact it has had on my life. After attending the Woman's broadcast last night I could not help but get exited about Relief Society and what it means to be a part of such an amazing organization. I have been so nervous about moving this far from my home and family that I almost forgot one of the great blessings that comes with belonging to the Lords church, Ward families. What a blessing it is to know that no matter where you go, there is already a support system waiting for you.

After meeting the Wagner's on our "Find a home" trip, they have become good friends and helped easy our transition in to Portland life. With in the first hour of arriving at our new apartment complex we had also meet the Gough's, not only did they introduce themselves and invite us for dinner the next day but they stayed around to help haul all our stuff into our new apartment. After only one day at church we have been invited to go on a hike with 5 other young families from the ward, and although I have not been hiking in a few years and will probably be eating their dust, I am looking forward to it! Our ward family has been taking such great care of us it is hard to believe we have only been here one week!

Last night the stake had a dinner before the broadcast, which I was a little nervous to attend since I hadn't even been to church yet! My nervousness vanished the moment I arrive. The women welcomed me with love and I soon felt apart of my new stake and was eagerly introducing myself to those around me. (Weird, I am usually so shy!?!) The General Relief Societies message was so beautiful, I felt inspired to throw myself into the RS program and take from it all that it can offer me. I may not be as close to home as I am use to but there are so many knowledgeable women right here that I can learn from, and I intend to do just that! I have a fire in my belly and look forward to getting my visiting teaching beats and a new calling in the Columbia River Ward, I will keep you posted with our ward life, until then here is my favorite quote from last night:

"Work will cure your grief. Immerse yourself in the service of the Lord!"
-President Gordan B. Hinkley

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in Calgary and was not able to see the R.S. Broadcast, but after your comments I can't wait to watch it on the internet. I am so happy you have a good ward - I know they will be your family while you are away from us. What a blessing to be a member of this church!

Nicole W. said...

that was my favorite quote from last night too! Oh how I miss president Hinckley. You forgot to mention how you were making me laugh so hard I got in trouble by the lady in front of us!

I think we would have made great mission companions....you remind me of my trainer...she was from Alberta too....maybe it's an AB thing???
Anyway, I'm so glad you're here....I've been waiting for a new funny friend to heal my heartache from my best friend moving 6mo's ago and I think you might be just the thing;)

ha!
love ya
Nicole

The Evansons said...

HellOOOOOOO!!! I wasn't able to make it to the Women Brodcast, due to Andrew working and no babysitters!! I'm excited to watch it though!! I'm especially excited for Conference this weekend!!!I don't know why but I've never been more excited for a conference then I am for this one. I know weird. What happened to us? Being excited about conference?!!?We must have become moms all of a sudden. hahaha! It looks like you guys are settling in just fine! I would move to Portland in a second, I love the rain.

So you like my new room? I still have 3 bathrooms, 1 masterbed room, Will's Room, an extra bedroom and 1 kitchen to fix up, so there will be alot more posts of renovations in the distant future. Oh and you did such a nice job on Jay and Stephanies slidshow.